Lifestyle Carpets – How to look after your carpet.
Vacuum your carpet regularly
Just keeping the dust, mud and general dirt that naturally falls on a carpet in check will keep the colours fresh and smells at bay.
Loop pile – best to use suction cleaners as they don’t snag
Cut pile – a vacuum with a beater, usually upright cleaners ‘bang’ the dirt out from the pile.
Doorways and frequently used areas
If you’re in a rush, clean the popular areas, such as doorways, walkthroughs and hallways as this reduce the amount of dirt walked through the rest of the house. You can then catch up with a full vacuum when you have more time.
Spills and Stains
Blot any spill straight away with kitchen roll then follow the guide below
Treat your carpet to a professional clean every so often it will remove dirt that even the best vacuuming would struggle with.
Dealing with general stains and spills
- Blot with kitchen roll until all the liquid is soaked up, avoid any rubbing though as this will just spread the stain.For dried in stains, scrape with a dull tool (eg. Spoon) and vacuum.
- Using a well wrung sponge in warm water, blot the area, cleaning and wringing the sponge until the stain is gone
- Soak up any remaining liquid with kitchen roll, then allow to dry naturally
- As with most stains, blot with kitchen paper, don’t rub until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Using a clean sponge, blot the stain with a mildly acidic cleaner, such as citrus based cleaners, or half bleach half water.
- Keep blotting and rinsing the sponge until the stain is gone.
- Dry with kitchen roll and then leave to continue drying naturally
- Follow the method for Greasy Stains as above, but use just warm water to clean the spill first, only if the stain sticks use a citrus cleaner or half bleach half water solution.
- Break up the spill with something blunt, a spoon is good, then vacuum the loose pieces.
- If a stain is left, use the bleach/water solution or a citrus cleaner, blotting the area to remove the stain.
- Absorb any excess liquid with kitchen roll then allow to dry naturally